We are a Reformed church in North-west Surrey that exists to know Jesus and make Jesus known. We seek to glorify God through gospel-centred worship, intentional discipleship and the promotion of the gospel both locally and abroad.
GOSPEL CENTERED WORSHIP
We believe that Sunday is the Lord’s Day (Rev. 1:10), distinguished from the other days of the week for communal worship. We believe that worship should be informed by Scripture rather than human opinion or preference. In our worship we dialogue with God, hearing Him speak to us in the sermon, Bible reading and blessing at the end, even as we speak to him in prayer and song. Every sermon points us again to our need for Christ as he is held out to us in the Gospel.
Having a culture of discipleship that is both wide and deep is another key focus for us at Maranatha. To that end, we provide many different discipleship opportunities for our members
As a missional church, we want to be actively engaged in our community and are not interested in sitting on the sidelines of what God is doing in our world. We believe that Christ desires to use us in bringing others to faith in him, and it is no coincidence that we are located in the community that we are. We are eager to reach out to our community. From Hope Explored, Christianity Explored, Life Renewal and various other programs. At the same time we are also involved in global missions by supporting the work of our sister churches in Brazil, and other areas of the world.
We are currently led by a group of 6 office bearers – those called to serve the Lord and his people in the offices of elder and deacon. We are currently looking for a pastor to lead us.
Maranatha is rooted in the Protestant Reformation, a movement that began during the 1500’s. As a Church, we believe in these five foundational principles called “The Five Solas”:
- Grace Alone: We are reconciled to God by his Grace alone. We do not deserve God’s forgiveness, nor can we make ourselves worthy of it.
- Faith Alone: Faith, rather than works (doing good deeds, rule keeping etc.) is the only means by which we can recieve God’s grace; faith itself is a gift given to us by God; He enables us to believe the gospel.
- Christ Alone: Jesus Chrsit is the unique son of God who alone died for us on the cross and is the sole object of our faith and salvation.
- Scripture Alone: The Bible is the divinely inspired, infallible word of God: it doesnt just contain truth, it is truth and is the final authority about what Chrsitianity teaches and how we are to be saved, and follow Jesus
- God’s Glory Alone: Life is meant to be lived “coram deo” (before the face of God) so that all we say and do brings glory and honour to him alone.